Purpose of stormwater management
Stormwater management is based on:
1) The need to protect the health, welfare and safety of the public, and to protect property from flood hazards by safely routing and discharging stormwater from developments,
2) The quest to improve the quality of life of affected communities,
3) The opportunity to conserve water and make it available to the public for beneficial uses,
4) The responsibility to preserve the natural environment,
4) The need to strive for a sustainable environment while pursuing economic development,
5) the desire to provide the optimum methods of controlling runoff in such a way that the main beneficiaries pay in accordance with their potential benefits.